Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Read You Me

I just read a very interesting article about flirting (thanks Aaron for the article). It states that "When you first meet new people, their initial impression of you will be based 55% on your appearance and body-language, 38% on your style of speaking and only 7% on what you actually say".

I don't think flirting is always between people who like one another. I think you could describe the way a charismatic politician speaks to an audience as flirting. Politicians of course need to have that amazing ability to captivate an audience. I am willing to venture and say it is not so much by what they are saying, but how they are saying it that earns them such adulation.

Granted, on our blogs, we are by no means flirting with people we adore, but there is something about keeping our readers' attention and making our actions seem genuine that we seek. On my blog, you are not able to see my subtle winks, or hear my sarcasm, or even see me put my hands on my hips. You have no idea how I intended the statement through inflection or facial expressions. The reader is forced to rely solely on the words I write. Is this affective enough? Are we missing something greater? Are vlogs the solution to this?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathie Legg said...

interesting. i would guess i come off better in person. So, what's good for one may not be good for another...

6/08/2005 8:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never thought of it as flirtatious, but now that you mention it, it's a pretty good analogy, for a certain type of provocative and engaging writing style. I believe Arianna Huffington does this. I think I have almost subconsciously tried to do this in some of my past writing, though I don't think I am doing it on my blog or comments - maybe I should try it - I might get more comments!

6/08/2005 4:53 PM  
Blogger Aaron Suggs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/08/2005 5:17 PM  
Blogger Aaron Suggs said...

On the subject of flirting, this cracked me up:
http://www.tremble.com/scribblins/000539.html

6/08/2005 5:18 PM  
Blogger Kathie Legg said...

yeah i saw that emi! Thanks! I must say though, i think dodgeball sucks. It's too much to ask a user to update where they are. But, it's articles like that in Wired that start the next big trends!

6/08/2005 10:25 PM  
Blogger Cody Ryan York said...

You say “Politicians of course need to have that amazing ability to captivate an audience”.

Charisma is what separates the great from the good. Can you win a US Senate race without charisma? But it takes charisma to be a true leader. Intellect and knowledge can make a great scholar, or bloger, but men follow courage and valor. Men will fight and die for a leader with charisma.

6/09/2005 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
Who Links Here