Monday, June 20, 2005

Know Your User

I came across a very interestingly designed webpage this evening and thought I would bring us back to the topic of site navigation. Take a look at this site and let me know what you think.

Is clicking just a habit? Does this site make you feel uncomfortable? Did you click?

Believe it or not, over half of the unique visitors clicked the screen.

I think it’s great when people think outside of the box and come up with new website techniques… but I am not convinced that sites should be in the habit of breaking people’s habits. When working on a campaign site, be aware of common, almost brainless, user habits and accommodate them. Another useful piece of knowledge is knowing where the user’s eyes look on websites. Take a look at these two studies:
  1. Using Eye-Tracking Data to Understand First Impressions of a Website
  2. The Best of Eyetrack III: What We Saw When We Looked Through Their Eyes

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! Great resources! Brings me back to my days of social science research!

6/20/2005 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
Who Links Here